In this blog, we are going to cover all the things you should aware of about the CPAP Machine, like What a CPAP machine is, its working principle, uses of CPAP Machine, how to use it, preferred masks, safety measures, types of CPAP machine, pros and cons of it.Thank you for reading this post, don't forget to subscribe!
What is a CPAP Machine?
Sleep apnea is a serious sleep disorder that occurs while sleeping. In this disease, the airways keep closing and opening repeatedly. If it’s left untreated, it can lead to loud snoring, daytime fatigue, or more serious problems like heart problems or high blood pressure.
To treat this sleep apnea, the doctor uses PAP (Positive Airway Pressure) therapy.
There are two types of PAP therapy – BiPAP (Bilevel Positive Airway Pressure) & CPAP (Continues Positive Airway Pressure) and the device which used for these therapies are called https://www.emergencycaresolution.com/shop/.
The most widely recommended device for treating sleep apnea is a continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) machine. CPAP machines are also known as CPAP ventilators.
Why CPAP Machine is used for sleep apnea?
When you have sleep apnea, your breathing may stop because your airway is blocked 30 or more times in an hour. Continuous positive airway pressure, or CPAP, forces air into them to keep them open so that you can breathe without any problem.
Working Principle of CPAP Machine/How does CPAP machine work?
A CPAP machine’s compressor produces a constant flow of pressured air that travels through an air filter and into a flexible tube. This tube is attached to a mask on your mouth through which pure air flows.
While sleeping the CPAP machine’s airstream releases with the set pressure and clears any blockage from the nasal airway, opening your airways and allowing you to get plenty of oxygen.
Types of CPAP Machine:
There are no major types of CPAP machines. The entire CPAP machines have the same features almost. You can find different types of machines for sleep apnea, such as CPAP machines, BiPAP machines and APAP machines.
Safety Measures While or Before Using CPAP Machine:
Before using a CPAP machine, you should aware of the risks you can face while using the CPAP machine So that you can prepare yourself for your safety. Here we are listing some safety points you can check before starting your therapy for sleep apnea.
- Set the Pressure You Required: You should check and set the CPAP pressure as per your requirement or suggested by your doctor.
- Select the Mask as per your comfort: Make sure you have a correctly fitting CPAP mask by consulting with your doctor and CPAP supplier. Because everyone’s face is different, the ideal mask style and size for one person may not work for you.
- Dry and Stuffy Nose: If your mask doesn’t fit comfortably over your mouth and leaks from somewhere you can have a dry nose, a humidifier on the CPAP machine can help with this. It adjusts the amount of humidification so that the nose does not become dry or stuffy at night.
How to use a CPAP Machine?
If you have sleep apnea disorder and your doctor has suggested you go with CPAP therapy then you have to purchase a CPAP machine. And it is obvious that this is something that is new for you and you doesn’t even know that how to use a CPAP machine because you never used it before.
So, no need to worry. Here we guide you that how you can set up & use a CPAP machine. Follow these below-given steps for a better experience –
- Choose a place to put the CPAP Machine: Before using a CPAP machine, the first thing to keep in mind is that you have to place the CPAP machine where you don’t have to move again and again and it should be nearby with a circuit and near to your head.
- Attach the tube with CPAP Machine and Mask: You have to attach the tube with CPAP machine and mask. Connect tube with a machine from one side and connect opposite side with the mask.
- Check the Filter: Before using the machine you should check the filter size that is perfect for your machine or not and after that set the filter in the filter apartment.
- Plugin CPAP Machine: After all this, you can plug in your CPAP machine.
- Put the Mask On: Adjust your laying position and put the mask on your mouth and make sure that it’s fit according to your face.
- Switch on the device: Now you are all set to use the CPAP machine, just switch on your machine.
Note: You can also attach the humidifier as per your requirement before plugin the CPAP machine.
What are the Benefits and Risks of Using a CPAP Machine?
There are always some benefits and some risks while doing PAP therapy. In the same way, the CPAP machine also has some benefits and some risks as well. Let’s explore that what are the benefits and risks of a CPAP machine –
Benefits of Using a CPAP Machine: There are many benefits of using a CPAP machine, such as
- Helpful in sleep apnea disorder
- Increases your capacity to sleep through the night without waking up
- Help to decrease blood sugar and cholesterol levels
- Help to reduce your blood pressure
- Reduces your chances of a heart attack, stroke, or another cardiovascular event.
Risks of Using a CPAP Machine: There are some risks as well while using a CPAP machine, such as
- Dry nose
- Stuffy nose
- Dry mouth
- Sore throat
- Nasal congestion
- Abdominal bloating
- Discomfort sleep
- Skin irritation because you are not habitual of it.
What type of mask you can use with a CPAP machine?
There are mainly 3 types of masks available for use in PAP therapy, and it’s important to know which one best suits your needs when looking for the right https://www.emergencycaresolution.com/shop/ for you. Here’s a guide to help you understand the types of masks available in the market –
- Nasal Mask – It’s an over-the-nose mask which covers the complete nose. If you move around a lot or change sides frequently while you sleep then this may be a better option for you. It has the capability to deliver a high-pressure air stream.
- Nasal Pillow Mask – It’s an under the nose mask which includes a little cushion that covers the area around your nostrils. Some nasal pillow masks also have prongs that fit into your nostrils. It works great if you have a lot of facial hair that would make a bigger mask too tight to wear.
- Full-Face Mask – It’s a full face cover mask which covers the mouth and nose completely. This is one of the best masks which most doctors prescribe to their patients if the patients are habitual to breathing from the mouth while sleeping or if there is any blockage in the nose.
CPAP machines are being used for more than 30 years now and it’s scientifically approved that CPAP machines are very helpful in sleep apnea disorder and for a seamless sleep with any headache and snoring at night which can disturb your sleeping partner.
Continues positive airway pressure therapy machine has lots of benefits but it’s also come with a few side effects.
Hence, it is better to use a CPAP machine with the advice of a healthcare expert or with the help of a doctor. CPAP machines also come with humidifiers which are more helpful in sleep apnea and also prevents from some of the side effects.